Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Missing my Dad

We've been so busy! Brant's been ripping out carpet and baseboards getting ready for our new flooring and I've been painting baby furniture. I came in from the garage for lunch and he was fixing the vacuum cleaner. I told him how proud my Dad would be of us. We can do it! It reminds me of the day before Dad died, we had just moved into our house, I hooked up the washer and dryer, syphoned out the hot tub and figured out how to clean it and fix it up on my own. I wrote him an email about how he taught me to do things for myself and how lucky I am to have him as a father. He promptly wrote me back saying I made his day.
While I was in the garage painting, I listened to country radio, my favorite. I heard Dad's relatively new favorites, "People are Crazy," and "Some Beach." Then I heard a new one. Brant and I heard it in the car the other day. I loved it. Today it first made me think about having a beer with Dad. Then about actually having a beer with Jesus and how Jesus would be such a great person to have a beer with. Then the part about "What's on the other side? Is mom and daddy alright" just made me cry and cry. So, I was out there painting and crying, crying and painting. Brant came out to get something and said, "Look at us, improving our home!" and I even couldn't talk to him at all! I've just been missing my Dad so much.

Our email exchange the day before he past away:
 
I do have the best Dad ever! I definitely realize this when there is nobody home to hook up the washer and dryer. Well, why couldn't I? "You can do it!" is always in my head because of my FABULOUS Dad.
Just today, (after having to use pliers on some pipes,) I syphoned my water out of my new hot tub to try to vacuum out the calcium deposits instead of just draining it. I learned how to syphon when I was 15. I put diesel in the lawnmower and quickly learned! All because of Dear ole Dad! : )
Now I am waiting for my tub to empty so I can do some more handy work the man taught me!
P
p.s.Thank goodness for the toolbox in my trunk thanks to him!


Pol ... Thank you ... You Made My DAY!  Love, Dad

Email to the family from Dad regarding country music on 8/28/09:

Howdy,
 As you know I have been going to the river every Tuesday trying to save half of the trees I planted in 2000 .. the other half I have given up on!  This drought is terrible when you see 300 year old oaks dying and turning brown ... maybe it will rain today since we got a little shower yesterday of 1/4 inch!
 
I used to listen to KTSA 550 AM until my fav DJ left and now I listen to Y100 Country while out at the river.
 
Wow, look what I have been missing ... Here are my favs ...
 
1.  Some Beach
2.  Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off
3.  People are Crazy and Beer is Good
4.  The Worst 15 minutes of my life
5.  Big Green Tractor
6.  I still Love Bologna on White Bread Now and Then
 
My fav is #1 ... Some BEACH ... like last week at Wilford Hall Medical Center I was waiting for a parking slot and had my blinker on while a fellow was backing out and all of the sudden a little ole lady whipped into it ... I just waved and laughed.  Then that same day I went to the Class 6 Store and reached up for my favorite wine and a lady beat me to the last two bottles ... All I could do was say ... Some Beach, Somewhere there is a big umbrella casting shade over a chair - On Some Beach Somewhere!
 
I love rereading his emails because you can hear his voice so strongly!

I added him to our Dia de los Muertos display at school this year. I think he would have gotten a kick out of being on the table with all the others and the colorful décor, flowers, etc! He worked right down the street from my school for 20+ years! He was part of their community!
 

Thomas Rhett Akins - If I Could Have A Beer With Jesus Lyrics  
If I could have a beer with Jesus
Heaven knows I’d sip it nice and slow
I’d try to pick a place that ain’t too crowded
Or gladly go wherever he wants to go

You can bet I’d order up a couple tall ones
Tell the waitress put ‘em on my tab
I’d be sure to let him do the talkin’
Careful when I got the chance to ask

How’d you turn the other cheek
To save a sorry soul like me
Do you hear the prayers I send
What happens when life ends
And when you think you’re comin’ back again
I’d tell everyone, but no one would believe it
If I could have a beer with Jesus

If I could have a beer with Jesus
I’d put my whole paycheck in that jukebox
Fill it up with nothing but the good stuff
Sit somewhere we couldn’t see a clock

Ask him how’d you turn the other cheek
To save a sorry soul like me
Have you been there from the start
How’d you change a sinner’s heart
And is heaven really just beyond the stars
I’d tell everyone, but no one would believe it
If I could have a beer with Jesus

He can probably only stay, for just a couple rounds
But I hope and pray he’s stayin’ till we shut the whole place down

Ask him how’d you turn the other cheek
To save a sorry soul like me
What’s on the other side?
Is mom and daddy alright?
And if it ain’t no trouble tell them I said hi
I’d tell everyone but no one would believe it
If I could have a beer with Jesus
I’d tell everyone but no one would believe it
If I could have a beer with Jesus

[Thanks to Kendra Singleton for lyrics]

1 comment:

  1. Made me cry! I miss him so much too. Sometimes I just get so upset because I can't believe he's not here any more. Hard to believe we just had our third Christmas without him. I love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete