Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I ROCK FOR DOC


We got a very special delivery this morning-a one of a kind treasure from our friend Rex.



Rex is one of those great people that always makes you laugh. We know him from church and I got to know him during our tours in Italy and Israel. In Rome, he started sneaking rocks into my backpack at the coliseum. He'd ask, "Is your backpack getting heavy?" He kept sneaking those rocks in the whole trip! I would get back to the hotel in the evening and find them! In fact, he asked me today if my backpack was still getting heavy. Another good memory was when he and I were both museumed-out and opted out of seeing the Dead Sea scrolls he told me about his younger years outside the museum.
He's also a big UT Longhorn. I remember he would always tease my Dad about being an Aggie and tell Aggie jokes at church. Today he said, "You may think this is strange, but John helped me make this. When I was done he said, 'You did a good job.'" Dad would definitely have loved this. Mom was here and she boo-hooed. Rex even found a 12th man sticker for the rocking train. He said he had to wear rubber gloves while painting, "this maroon paint will contaminate me!" When I texted Brant a picture, he wrote, "Wow! That's impressive! Did he actually paint it Aggie maroon? In his own house??!!!"
He said he started this project as soon as he found out I was pregnant. I have been overwhelmed by the continuous generosity of our friends. I am especially touched by gifts made with such love, by a friend's own hands. Rex does so much for our church and is a busy man, yet he took a lot of time to create something special for Jeffrey.
I ROCK FOR DOC is the BEST part!!!
Thank you to Rex, a very special friend!

"The happiest people I know are people who don’t even think about being happy. They just think about being good neighbors, good people. And then happiness sort of sneaks in the back window while they are busy doing good." Rabbi Harold Kushner

No comments:

Post a Comment