Friday, April 26, 2013

From the Boob

     Ok, I have to admit I'm writing this post largely in defense of what some people have already said to me regarding our decision to breast feed. I'm not judging if you choose to formula feed. It is definitely easier. I do think breast feeding is incredibly difficult and not for everyone, but it is clearly the best for the baby- ask any doctor or consult any baby book. The facts about breastfeeding continue to amaze me and I just don't think people know!
     Did you know that breast milk contains live white blood cells that destroy bad bacteria in baby's intestines? When the baby breast feeds, (not pumped milk, but actually on the boob,) any virus they may have acquired from daycare or Sunday school, (which I hear from friends is the most likely place for a baby to get sick!) goes from baby's saliva into the mother's bloodstream and her body creates antibodies then given to the baby through the milk to fight the virus. Same with vitamins. If a lack of vitamins are detected in the mother's bloodstream, voila!- out comes the right balance of vitamins that are also better absorbed. Breast fed babies have less allergies, they are protected from high blood pressure and high cholesterol through adulthood, it is better for brain development...the list goes on and on and on. AND there's another long list of benefits for the mom! Like Brant said, "Why would you want to give your baby something that is man made when you can give him what God created and intended." AND it's FREE!
     Our teacher at our breast feeding class said not to let grandma tell you your baby is starving and to just give him formula, because it will happen. Breast fed babies are leaner. Fat babies are cuter, I agree, but our society has put that image in our heads. Lean babies are actually healthier.
     I went to my first La Leche League meeting Wednesday and it was fantastic. I was thinking there may be some real hippie type people there, which there were, but there were all kinds. I stayed after the meeting and talked to 4 girls for about 2 hours and learned so much. All the mothers there just want what is best for their baby. One girl gave me a sample of essential oils for Jeffrey's gas/tummy issues. After reading about essential oils I think I could really get into them instead of over the counter meds and other household products.When going to La Leche, Aunt Jen said, "And you think I'm a hippie!" I replied, "I'm seeing the light!"
     So what, I'm getting a little "crunchy"? Motherhood is funny. You'll do ANYTHING for the little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment