Sunday, August 26, 2012

1st Ultrasound, See Heartbeat! & Relief

     On August 7, (6 weeks, 5 days pregnant,) we got to see our little peanut, (shaped like a peanut, but the size of a lentil,) and his/her FLICKERING little HEARTBEAT. It was amazing and made it real!
     Brant kept saying things like, "Well, if you are pregnant..." I kept reminding him that I had a blood test, more accurate than any other kind of test. I was so nervous for this ultrasound. I just wanted to see a baby and make sure it is healthy. I wasn't even thinking about whether we had twins or even three at this point. As long as all was well in there. One baby was confirmed and the doctor showed us the shadowy area where the other embryo had been.
     When he saw the little baby and the heart flickering, Brant's face lit up, he squeezed my hand. He finally realized we were having a baby. I could see it on his face. I could only see a small version on the monitor attached to the exam table but he got to see the larger, clearer monitor where the doctor was looking. I was able to see the baby and to see the flickering of it's heart and I was incredibly relieved.
     Nurse Carolyn said we graduated from the fertility clinic and that she would actually write "graduated" on our chart. She told us to come back in a couple of months to show off the baby bump and to send a birth announcement picture. We walked out to the parking garage and Brant was thrilled. I was relieved. I was also concerned about not being special anymore. I felt like we needed this special place and special people! I had come to know them so well over the last 2 years. I was told to make an appointment with my regular OBGYN. Now I am just a regular pregnant person. Sometimes it's great to be regular. Relief.


    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment